Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Update: Temple Mill, Leeds

Thanks to Bob Partridge for letting me know the actual state of play with the wonderful Temple Mill, modelled on Edfu, that I posted about yesterday.

Bob says that it has not yet been been restored, but that work has now started. He was able to visit just before the work began and the place will be off limits for around three years. Part of the mill had actually collapsed and a lot of work will be needed. Bob says that although this work will involve restoration it will also include the demolition of some parts of the building. It will be interesting to see what emerges!

Ancient Egypt magazine (of which Bob is the Editor, of course) will have something about it in the December issue of Ancient Egypt magazine.

3 comments:

Paul bullivant said...

Its a wonderful building and i cant wait for it to be restored.
Its just south of Leeds central station in 'Holbeck Village,
Its a real national treasure and if you do a search for Temple Mill you will be rewarded with some old and current photos etc...

Paul Bullivant

Andie said...

I hope to see it myself when it has been restored, but I would have loved to have seen it before it started to be left to decay.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am trying to find out who the name of the contracting company or architect company involved in the Holbeck Temple Mill project.

I manage school work placements for local students and I would like to ask them if they would be interested in the possibility of providing work experience for a particular student who is training to be a builder but also has a strong interest in Egyptology.

This project would be a an ideal opportunity for the student, even if for only a short time, the student would benefit immensely from observing the process and work involved in this fantastic project.

If anyone can help with the name of the companies or people involved, I would realy appreciate it.

Kindest regards
Hayley Jones 07788534027