Sunday, November 09, 2008

Egypt: An inspector-in-training moves from theory to field work

UCLA: Archaeology Field Program

Adel Saad Mondy, who has a degree in archaeology, is a new inspector with Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, the agency which issues permits to excavations. The Supreme Council of Antiquities arranged for Mondy and several other inspectors to do their first field training with the Fayum excavation.

"These are some of the most important days of my life. It is my second day in the American field school at the archaeological site of Karanis in Fayum, where I am one of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) inspectors training in this program.

During the last two days I felt like I would be changed and that the field school would affect my archaeological work in the SCA. I took my first steps towards the scientific excavation process, including the recording of and working with a stratigraphic sequence.

During these two days, I learned how to set up the automatic level and take elevations, and the importance of these levels for excavation and recording. Also, I started an archaeological drawing using the triangulation method.

Actually, I greatly enjoy this field school program. It is very organized and connected between the field work and the theory lectures in the expedition house. I hope that all Egyptian archaeologists will have this chance to learn the scientific excavation steps and add new experience to the SCA."

No comments: