Monday, June 30, 2008

Museum entrance to be transformed into an Egyptian tomb

Gadsden Times (Ashley Hopkinson)

The rear entryway of the Gadsden Museum of Art and History is being transformed into an Egyptian tomb.

Artist Kevin Keenan is volunteering his services to the project, which will showcase the museum’s exhibit on how Howard Carter discovered King Tut’s tomb.

The large display of columns lined with hieroglyphics already is attracting the attention of many residents, Keenan said, but the project is not scheduled to be finished until August or September.

Keenan, a former naval electronic warfare officer of 21 years, said that he’s been doing art seriously for only a year but has always enjoyed it.

“I’ve been doing artwork my whole life, as long as I could put a crayon in my hand and write on the wall,” Keenan said. “I’ve always loved art and appreciated it. I’ve had a talent for it, but I’ve never done anything about it.”

Until now, that is.

In preparation for doing the museum entrance, Keenan did 10 sketches and smaller paintings for director Steve Temple to review.

No comments: