Friday, June 13, 2008

Daily Photo - Aswan past and present

My sincere thanks to George Mutter for sending me these photographs of Aswan today and in the past. The old photographs were taken in 1906, exactly 100 years before the modern photographs. As George says, the juxtaposition is rather nice. The photos were copied from an unpublished photograph album. There will be another set tomorrow.

I particularly like the first pair, which show the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan. It goes to show how much greenery can grow in 100 years! And just look at the swimming pool area in 1906.

The second one just compares Nile cruisers, the latter being a Cook's steamer. I bet that they didn't have the cruise ship traffic jams in the early 1900s that you can see today!






I am always on the look-out for photographs for the blog, so if you have any for which you own the copyright (or have the copyright holder's permission to use), and would like to share with other visitors to the blog, please do send me a set. I am particularly on the look out for slightly more unusual locations or scenes, or photographs taken in museums, but anything Egyptological would do nicely.

No comments: